DAY 3: OCTOBER 3rd, 2020
LOCATION: Righteous Slice (175 W. 200 S#100, Rexburg, ID 83440)
GUEST(S): Robin Rothman, Maddy Mako, Angela DeManti, Michael McLarnon, Habiba Waziruddin
ORDER: 2.5 slices of Margherita (Fresh mozzarella, pecorino Romano, crushed San Marzano tomato sauce, basil, olive oil), 2 slices of Spud Harvest (House-made sweet Italian sausage, potato, rosemary, baby arugula, finely grated Parmesan)
Heavenly. Situated in the middle of the religious college town of Rexburg, Idaho, Righteous Slice is well named however you interpret the word. While the quaint main thoroughfare of the Brigham Young University (BYU) Idaho campus is teaming with unmasked undergrads in the midst of a pandemic, three of the masked variety courteously take and make your Righteous slice order quickly and professionally. The oven-tender impressed me the most by expertly handling a 900’ F wood-burning dome oven like a seasoned pizzaiolo. Righteous Slice proves that top notch ingredients beginning with Caputo "00" flour combined with skilled baking techniques yields delicious results! I recommend doing as I did and ordering one traditional pizza and one of their creatively topped signature pies. In addition to a superbly prepared rendition of the conventional Margherita, I opted for the Spud Harvest which includes excellently sourced sausage and potato - because “when in Idaho...” What a powerhouse flavor combination with the different cheeses and the oven-kissed (read: slightly charred) crust. The spacious multi-floor dining area adds icing to the cake. This place is great! Although it may have the logo sleekness and cleanliness of a chain, Righteous Slice opened in a farmer’s market in 2013 and only opened as a brick-and-mortar storefront in 2019. As of now, you’ll have to make a pilgrimage to Rexford to get your hands on a righteous slice at Righteous Slice.
slice of Margherita
slice of Spud Harvest
Wood-burning dome oven
Angela DeManti, Robin Rothman, Sean Taylor, Habiba Waziruddin, Michael McLarnon, Maddy Mako
1. Since the beginning of the pandemic, a group of friends and I have been doing a weekly zoom to keep sane. It has helped me immensely (personally) with a feeling of connection that I sorely miss. It's not the same as being with people in person, but I so look forward to each week. Thank you!
2. Maddy Mako is from New Jersey and went to Action Park when she was younger. If you don't know what that is, watch Class Action Park on Netflix.
3. Angela DeManti has not only cat sat for my cat, but is constantly looking after her roommate's cats when he is gone for the weekend.
4. Habiba Waziruddin and Michael McLarnon recently got a car!
5. Robin Rothman and I visited Old Faithful Geyser in Yellowstone National Park today. It was amazing! I was so impressed that we both took a break from our phones to experience the wonder of Mother Nature that I grabbed my phone and snapped a photo.
6. We saw a buffalo cross the road! How cool?!?
- SERVICE: N/A
17/18 = .944 x 5 = 4.72