Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Day 5, 2015: Antika Restaurant & Pizzeria (Washington Heights, NYC)




DAY 5: OCTOBER 5th, 2015

LOCATION: Antika Restaurant & Pizzeria (3924 Broadway, Washington Heights, NYC)

GUEST(S): Matthew Shafeek

ORDER: 4 slices of Old Fashioned Grandma Style Square Pizza

REVIEW: 
Comfort food and folks.  Antika Restaurant & Pizzeria has been warmly welcoming patrons in its Washington Heights location since 2010.  The menu consists of Italian dishes "like grandma would make" including a signature pizza appropriately named the "Old Fashioned Grandma Style Square Pizza." These twice baked gas powered crusts are layered with four different types of high quality cheeses, San Marzano tomatoes, olive oil and Italian herbs providing a light-yet-complex flavor. Even on a day with the oven cooking especially hot, the creamy blend of fresh mozzarella and rich tomato sauce overcame any inconsistencies with taste or texture. In addition to good food, expect an congenial staff, a great mix of music, an excellent beverage selection, and several other reasons to come again.

PHOTOS:

The Old Fashioned Grandma Style Square Pizza
Day 5
A slice
Gas powered deck oven

MISCELLANEOUS:
1. Matt Shafeek and I share a love for an odd TV show called Rick & Morty.  It's animated, irreverent, and hits sci-fi tropes in the most awesome way.  After pizza, I watched an episode from Season 2 handpicked by Shafeek.  It was the one Total Rickall.
2. Today is my in-law's 40th anniversary.  My wife wrote a song for her parents and I helped her record it.  Here it is...
3.  Matt Shafeek is the "King of the FibBit."  If you haven't heard, FitBit tracks the number of steps you take each day and, of my friends, Shafeek is tops...all the time.  Noticing that I was far from my 10,000 step daily goal, I went for a 100 block walk after pizza and wonder why I don't do it more often.  NYC is beautiful...and I discovered some more pizzerias I want to visit.

RATING:

 4.17/5
  • VALUE:
     4/5

  • AMBIENCE:
     3/3

  • TASTE:
     7.5/10

  • SERVICE:
     3/3
17.5/21 = .833 x 5 = 4.17

No comments: