Wednesday, October 15, 2008

DAY 14: OCTOBER 14th, 2008 - Star Tavern


DAY 14: OCTOBER 14th, 2008

LOCATION: Star Tavern (Washington St. and High St., Orange, NJ)

ORDER: 4 slices of cheese, 2 slices of sausage


GUEST(S): BJ Gallagher

PIZZA REVIEW:
Still greasy after all these years. Star Tavern recipe involves sauce and cheese all the way out to the edge of the cracker-thin, but not cracker-crunchy crust. My theory is the grease from the cheese moistens the underside and outer edge just enough to render it chewy. How they get it so delicious is a well kept secret. With traditional ovens and seemingly standard ingredients, Star Tavern must hide away their recipebook like I hid away 6 slices of pizza. If Orange, New Jersey weren't so far away from Manhattan, I have no doubt the Star Tavern would be seeing a lot of me. As a matter of fact, if anyone is heading out there and has room in their car, I'll take it!

MISC.:
1. I took a train Times Square, walked to Port Authority, a bus to Weehawken, a car to Orange, NJ. Total trip: 2 hours 15 min each way. I did discover that Weehawken has the most spectacular view of Manhattan I have ever seen.


2. BJ Gallagher took me on a tour of his old hometown. There are gas lights on every block...and they're operational!

VIDEO CLIP:


RATING:
4.33/5
  • VALUE:
    4/5

  • AMBIENCE:
    3/3

  • TASTE:
    8/10

  • SERVICE:
    3/3

18/21 = .857 x 5 = 4.286

No comments: