Saturday, October 9, 2004

Day 9, 2004: Stromboli Pizza (E. Village, NYC)


DAY 9: October 9th
LOCATION: Stromboli Pizza (83 St. Marks Pl at 1st Ave, NYC)
GUEST(S): Michelle Dobrawsky, Melissa Travis
ORDER: 1 slice of Chicken and Tomatoes, 1 slice of Cheese

PIZZA REPORT: Quintessential New York pizza. I almost used the word "typical" but I realize that the word has a negative connotation when refering to food critiquing. For this reason, the quintessential NY pizza slice is anything but "typical". These slices were reheated in a conventional oven when we ordered them. They were flexible enough to be folded (without cracking), greasy enough to force you consider the health risks, and tasty enough to permit you to disregard them. The cheese slice is the way to go, in my opinion. I mean if you are thinking about getting a slice with chicken and tomatoes, you probably want a chicken sandwich. Go get a chicken sandwich and when you decide you want a good slice of pizza, then head on over to Stromboli.
MISC.:
  • Melissa Travis is visiting for the weekend and decided to take time out of her New York vacation to grab a slice of pizza with me and Michelle. Melissa knows a lot about gender and populations of metropolitan areas.
  • It was a hot one, but Michelle Dobrawsky wes ready. She bought me an extra soda when I was totally parched.
  • I was just checking my spelling of "parched" in the previous Misc. item by looking it up in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary and I discovered that the word has multiple meanings. One of them is to "shrivel with heat" and the other is to "shrivel with cold". Who knew? I didn't - but now I do. Oh yeah, I meant "parched" as in shrivel with heat in the previous Misc. item.
  • The guy that took the photo of us was someone that Michelle recognized off the side of the street. He was wearing a running outfit and had head phones but wasn't going anywhere. Turns out he was waiting for the cops to arrive because he had just been hit by a taxi. I feel bad we made him take our photo now and hope he's ok.

No comments: