Monday, October 11, 2010

Day 9, Pizza Month 2010 - Spunto (W. Village, NYC)



DAY 9: OCTOBER 9th, 2010

LOCATION: Spunto (West Village, NYC)

ORDER: 1 slice of large shroomtown, 1 slice of a classica, 2 slices of hot Italian sausage and caramelized onion

GUEST: Will Hines, Erik Tanouye, Jill Morris, Robin Rothman

REVIEW:

Crispy, tasty, tangy, gone! Order a lot more than you think when you visit Spunto. Do this not only because the flavor combinations will leave you wanting more but because the crust is so microscopically thin. A single individual pie will not likely fill you up. Never fear, there are plenty of other items available on the menu. Just don't count on getting your carbs from the pizza.



I strongly recommend the Shroomtown. In general, I am not a fan of mushrooms as a topping for pizza but this signature pie combines three different types with truffle oil, tomato sauce, and just enough cheese to make for the tastiest mushroom pizza I have eaten since Vezzo (another Thin Crust pizzeria owned by the same family).


The most amazing pie of the evening was one we created ourselves. Choosing from a long list of fresh, flavorful toppings, we opted for the Italian sausage and caramelized onions. If I could pat my back and type at the same time, I'd be doing it now. The sweetness from the onions and the savory sausage left just about every tastebud in our mouths happy along the way to our stomachs.


The pizza at Spunto tastes great. I really like the cracker thin crust, fresh ingredients, nice ambience, and awesome service. Unfortunately, unless I have an expense account or someone else says, "Let's eat, I'm buying," I won't be back. My stomach wants what my wallet can't afford.



VIDEO CLIP:




RATING:
3.81 out of 5

  • VALUE:
    2.5/5

  • AMBIENCE:
    3/3

  • TASTE:
    7/10

  • SERVICE:
    3/3

15.5/21 = .761 x 5 = 3.81


MISCELLANEOUS:
1. It was Erik Tanouye's birthday and he, along with Robin Rothman, Will Hines, and Jill Morris came to the Magnet Theater to watch my improv team, Junior Varsity, perform Hot For Teacher.
2. I almost missed my performance mentioned above because of eating pizza.

No comments: