Monday, October 31, 2005

Day 31, 2005: Sac's (Astoria, Queens)



DAY 31: October 31st
LOCATION: Sac's (29th St and Broadway in Astoria, QUEENS)
GUEST(S): Catherine Wing, Eden Gauteron, Matt Sears
ORDER: One slice of cheese

PIZZA REPORT: Feeling Sacs-y? I am. Sac's is the only coal-fired pizza place I am aware of in the borough of Queens. Lucky for me and other Queens County residents, it's perfect! My favorite part of Sac's pizza is the sauce, of which there is plenty. I witnessed as they put a light layer of sauce on a pizza, scattered some fresh mozzarella cheese on, then applied another layer of sauce. Two (2) layers of delicious sauce! I think they add several spices to it in order for it to be so flavorful. My slice of cheese was mouth-wateringly good. The coal-fired crust was just thick enough to provide support for the entire slice and just flexible enough to be folded. As I folded it the sauce pockets and fresh mozzarella united to form one outrageously great-tasting slice of pizza. When in Queens, do what the Queens residents do and go to Sac's.
MISC.:
  • Catherine Wing's got Moxie. Moxie is the name of her mean looking puppet that pretty much prevented her from speaking for the second half of the meal. Here is a picture of Catherine & Moxie...
  • Eden Gauteron (pronounced "Ay-DEN Goo-trone") is from Cleveland, Ohio and arrived wearing a balloon hat he found on the ground.
  • Matt Sears should have been Matt Suarez but the employees in Ellis Island wrote down "Sears" instead. His mom's maiden name was also changed by the people at Ellis Island. We weren't sure whether this was to Anglicize their names to help get them work or if the folks at Ellis Island were just bad spellers.
  • October 31st means both Halloween and an end to Pizza Month '05. I managed to achieve my goal of eating a slice of pizza each day at 31 different locations with at least one other person. Thank you, everyone that helped make this possible. If you want to see me burn off all of these carbs, then watch out for bib #18670 in the ING New York City Marathon on Sunday, November 6th. If you want to know when and where to see me, I posted it here. Send me a Private Message (PM)with your email address if you want to be notified via email when I cross the 10K, 20K, 13.1m, and finish line.

No comments: