Friday, October 3, 2003

Day 3, 2003: John's Pizzeria (W. Village, NYC)

DAY 3: October 3rd
LOCATION: John's Pizzeria (278 Bleecker St, NYC)
GUEST(S): Kevin Hines, Brian Waddell
ORDER: 3 slices of cheese, 1 slice of pepperoni, 1 slice of sausage

PIZZA REPORT: So good! Coal-fired brick oven pizza cooked and served to the tune of the entire Frank Sinatra collection. In general, I wouldn't include the music in the "pizza report" but it truly added to my enjoyment of each slice. The slices themselves (particularly the pepperoni) also added to my enjoyment of each slice. John's pizzeria redefines the "textbook pizza" by avoiding the cheese-covers-sauce convention. Depending on where you are in the slice, you may be eating sauce on top of cheese, cheese on top of sauce, just cheese, or just sauce. It's unpredictably delightful. A slight excess of sauce resulted in an occasional soggy portion of an otherwise ideal slice.
MISC.: I was unable to convince Kevin and Brian to come to my little sister's boyfriend's band's (Copeland) gig in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I still went. From Sinatra to Hardcore Christian punk in less than an hour...quite a night. 

No comments: