Monday, October 22, 2007

Day 22, 2007: Patsy's Pizzeria (Harlem, NYC)


LOCATION: Patsy's Pizzeria (117th Street and 1st Avenue, NYC)

GUEST(S): Birch Harms
ORDER: 2 slices of plain Margherita, 1 slice of Margherita with pepperoni
PIZZA REPORT: Same logo, different taste. Typically, when a brand is franchised, you would expect the franchises to be similar but not quite as good as the original. The opposite is true, in my opinion of Patsy's. I love the franchise, but only like the original. Don't get me wrong, it's still coal fired brick oven pizza with tomato sauce superior to any large chain. Patsy's just does not stand up to itself. Perhaps because the original prides itself on offering slices, whereas the franchises do not, sacrifices in the quality of pepperoni and cheese are made. I had to order a margherita to ensure I would get fresh mozzarella cheese on my pie. And, of course, when it came, I devoured it.
ATMOSPHERE: Being such a fan of the Patsy's brand, I must point out the differnces between the East Harlem location versus the franchises. Patsy's, in general, are located centrally around the city. They also have cloth napkins, nice tablecloths, an assortment of wine, and romantic mood music. In my opinion, the East Harlem (original) location, is more of an old fashioned pizza parlor. The franchises are more suited for dates, whereas the original would be an ideal spot for families or a local little league pizza party. Each has its own merits. If you don't mind the trek to get there, you will find the Harlem Patsy's to be spacious, clean, and quiet with hardly any wait to get in. No matter where you go, expect to pay about $18-24 a pie (w/o alcohol).
VERDICT: 3.5 out of 5 
MISC:1. I say the word "Patsy's" 11 times and Birch Harms tacks on 3 more in the 4 min video clip. That is a rate of 1 per every 17 seconds.
2. Birch Harms and I pose for a photo re-enacting a photo we took 5 years before.
3. I also attempt to give date advice in the video clip.




No comments: