Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Day 31, 2006: La Pizza Fresca (Flatiron, NYC)


 
LOCATION: La Pizza Fresca (21st Street and Broadway, NYC)
GUEST(S): Terry Jinn, Maiko Kaneko, Maddy Mako, Jess Lane, Alan Fessenden, Paul Connolly, Violet Krumbein, Louie Pearlman
ORDER: 2 slices of Margherita, 1 slice of Biana Neve, 1 bite of Emilia
PIZZA REPORT: Old country flavor for my new country taste.  La Pizza Fresca prides itself on serving authentic Italian pies. Sometimes, like today, my suburban upbringing and immature palate get the better of me.  Having never been to Italy, I must say that the pizza of my youth is many evolutionary steps away from what they serve at La Pizza Fresca.  Some pies differ more than others.  The Margherita, for instance, gave me what I wanted at a higher quality. The cheese was fresh mozzarella, the sauce was made with San Marzano tomatoes, the crust was hand sculpted and cooked in a wood burning oven to perfection.  I loved it.  The Emilia, on the other hand, gave me a gag reflex.  The Bianca Nieve, something in between.  As for any pie other than a Margherita, read the ingredients carefully.  Since I didn't, I was left to dicipher everything on my own.  "Bianca Neve" I translated as "great cheese but watch out for the garlic." As for"Emilia", well, that must be Italian for "Balsamic Vinegar" which is English for "Sean won't like it".   Everyone else at the table seemed to love it so I cannot help but recommend it for others.  But, If you're anything like me, stick with the Margherita. 
ATMOSPHERE: Clean, classy, and comfortable.  La Pizza Fresca's owners keep the place looking sharp.  White table cloths, fancy dishes, fine wine, an imported wood burning oven and a well dressed wait staff are a few of the nice touches that qualify La Pizza Fresca as a great date place.   It's not cheap but it's a lot less than a trip to Naples and La Pizza Fresca is the next best thing.
VERDICT: 4 out of 5 
MISC.: Terry Jinn, Maiko Kaneko, Maddy Mako, Jess Lane, Alan Fessenden, Paul Connolly, Violet Krumbein, Louie Pearlman talked about violet crumble, Halo 3, sliceny, enrichment programs, odd jobs, and New York Japion.  Maiko Kaneko is a reporter for New York Japion and is doing a story on Pizza Month which should be appearing in this Monday's edition.  Oh yeah, the newspaper is written entirely in Japanese.
 Click to play in your browser 

No comments: