Sunday, October 9, 2005

Day 9, 2005: John's Pizzeria (W. Village, NYC)



DAY 9: October 9th
LOCATION: John's Pizzeria (Bleecker and 7th Ave, NYC)
GUEST(S): Alix Sternberg, Megan Morrison, Jen MacNeil, Matt Pack
ORDER: 3 slices of sausage

PIZZA REPORT: "Dear John, I love your pizza". Now that was an easy "Dear John" letter to write. The pizza here is really good. My favorite part is the coal-fired pizza crust. It's sturdy and supplies the perfect foundation for the sauce, cheese, and toppings. In my case, the toppings were delicious Italian sausage. The cheese is not fresh mozzarella but it's not old either. It's just good mozzarella. The sauce has a slight tangy tomato flavor that tastes so good that you just got to eat more. And since the pizzas are so thin, feel free to eat more.
MISC.:
  • We were seated at a window looking on to the line formed outside of John's. Jen MacNeil noticed the people looking in on us and nonchalantly put her fork in some leftover crust and danced it around like it was normal. It definitely attracted attention causing the rest of and this guy peering in on us to laugh. We eventually had him take a photo of us through the window which didn't turn out because of the flash and I took a photo of him where he was all blurry. I still might post them here though.
  • Megan Morrison is from North Carolina and loves to watch improv comedy. She and Alix had to leave to get to UCBT'sASSSCAT - an improv comedy show that is responsible for 75% of the funniest things I have seen in my life.
  • Alix Sternberg was excited to be a part of Pizza Month...but she doesn't eat pizza! She had spaghetti. I wonder when National Spaghetti month is...
  • Matt Pack was late, but I couldn't blame him. I, myself, risked being late watching the fourth game of the NLDS between the Astros and Braves. It went into extra-innings so I did all I could to postpone my departure from my apt in Queens, but by the 11th inning, I knew I had to go. Matt is a lifelong Braves fan so it makes sense he could not step away. I arrived into the city and check the score on my phone and it hadn't changed; 6 to 6 in the 13th inning. While waiting in line, I continued to follow the box score on my phone but the only thing that changed was the inning. By the 15th, Matt Pack left the game in order to avoid missing pizza day 10 altogether. When he arrived at John's, the game still wasn't over. We both used our mobile devices to check the score until finally it changed. Houston won on a walk-off homer in the bottom of the 18th. The game ended with Roger Clemens coming in out of the bullpen to pitch on three days rest to get the win. Sadly, Matt's Braves were eliminated. That being said, we both agree that the game may be one of the best baseball games of all time.

No comments: