LOCATION: Pizza Brain (2313 Frankford Ave, Philadelphia, PA)
ORDER: 1 slice of Forbes Waggensense (mozzarella, fontina, grana padano, fresh basil, smoked pepperoni) and 1 slice of Henrietta Blanch (mozzarella, aged provolone, grana padano, banana pepper, basil, roasted red pepper, Fiorella bros. sausage)
GUESTS: Brandon Coyle, Shadow Fang, Vanessa Fernandez, Patrick Alexander, Lily Rothman, Robin Rothman Taylor, Paul Rothman
Come for the pizza, stay for the pizza memorabilia. The signature pie names at this unique BYOB Fishtown pizzeria may sound funny but Pizza Brain is serious about their pizza. From the high quality topping combinations like banana peppers, provolone, Italian sausage, and smoked hand-cut pepperoni to the first-of-its-kind pizza museum, Pizza Brain provides a gastronomical and cerebral experience you won't soon forget. I found the crisp-yet-chewy crust especially appealing as it seemed to provide a slight savory aftertaste as well as a sturdy foundation to each slice. I was overwhelmed and impressed by the degree of which the Pizza Brain employees care about their product. Across the board, everyone from cashier to pizzaiolo are excited to share their creative pizza concoctions with any new patron. These concoctions are not cheap but they are surprisingly filling. Go ahead and over-order anyway...it's just that good. Thanks to Pizza Brain, I have a new Philadelphia favorite.
|A slice of Forbes|
1. Brandon Coyle and Robin Rothman Taylor were born and raised in Philly. Brandon likes softball and Robin watches Funnyball, which is my softball league for comedians.
2. Patrick Alexander is on a NYC based longform improv comedy troupe called Baby Babushka and they love their coach...I hope...since, well, I am their coach.
3. Lily Rothman and Paul Rothman are celebrating their 39th wedding anniversary today. Patrick called #39 "the Pizza anniversary."
4. Patrick and Vanessa Fernandez know an awful lot about mullets. They told me it is not only a name for a hair do but also a fish. Both are celebrated at the annual Mullet Festival.
5. Robin was wearing her "A Slice of Heaven" T-shirt made famous by the movie Mystic Pizza - which, if you haven't seen it, is a pretty great movie. I snapped a photo of her standing by the ad for the movie.