Tuesday, October 27, 2009

DAY 27, Pizza Month 2009 - Vinny Vincenz (E. Village)



DAY 27: OCTOBER 27th, 2009

LOCATION:
Vinny Vencenz (231 1st Ave, NYC)

ORDER:
1 slice of Margherita, 1 slice of Sicilian

GUEST(S):
Stephen Jackett

REVIEW:

V's are for Victory...especially if the race is to find a good slice in the East Village. NYU students can stop by Vinny Vincenz as late as 4am on weekends for a solid slice and be back in there dorm by five after. Although I was not taking a study break I did have a hankering for some good pizza.



Vinny Vincenz was quick to oblige. I recommend the Margherita. The fresh mozzarella sprinkled with olive oil, basil, and parmesan and layered with tangy tomato sauce might not last long. So, order two. I chased my Margherita with a Vodka slice. While that might sound like something an alcoholic might do, I assure you that these are both pizza slices on Vinny Vencenz's menu. And, of the two I prefer the Margherita.

The vodka slice definitely tasted like a rich vodka sauce you might get with a penne pasta dish, but, without the pasta, there just wasn't enough. This could have to do with reheating of the slice in the conventional oven causing the sauce to absorb into the bread or perhaps it evaporated out where not covered by the cheese. Whatever the case, I need the sauce (in this case "sauce" does refer to vodka)!

Another signature slice touted by the owner is the Sicilian. A much more substantial slice made with a different-yet-equally-tasty tomato sauce. Still new to the Sicilian style, my allegiances lie with the thinner Neopolitan pie, but must admit the Grande cheese on the thick, crispy crust reminded me of cheesesticks dipped in sauce I loved so much as a child.

I will be back sometime in the future. Knowing the convenient hours, decent prices, and a solid product assures me that Vinny Vincenz will be there waiting.


MISC.:

1. I had the pleasure of meeting Ali, the owner of Vinny Vincenz.


2. Stephen Jackett and I went to college together. He is an amazing animator and brilliant artist.


VIDEO CLIP:





RATING:

3.75/5
  • VALUE:
    4/5

  • AMBIENCE:
    2.5/3

  • TASTE:
    7/10

  • SERVICE: N/A
    0/0

13.5/18= 0.750 x 5 = 3.75

No comments: