Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Day 17, 2007: Otto (Village, NYC)




LOCATION: Otto (5th Avenue and 8th Street, NYC)
GUEST(S): Megan Gray, Lex Morales, Jarret Berenstein, Jamie Rivera
ORDER: 5/6 of pepperoni, 1/6 of Margherita D.O.C.
PIZZA REPORT: Ultrathin, ultragood, ultra-unfilling! I wonder how many individual Otto's margherita pizza with pepperoni I could have eaten. The tomato sauce is fresh, tangy, and well proportioned (for the petite sized pizza). The sauce provided a nice bed for the buffala fresh mozzarella cheese and spicy pepperonis to sleep on. The firm ultra thin crust/boxspring beneath it all I swore was a wood fired crust. I was wrong though. It's cooked on a griddle and toasted around the edges. I wish they had a kingsize.
ATMOSPHERE: It doesn't take a keen eye to notice that pizza only accounts for about 2" of real estate on the Otto menu. The wine, on the other hand, is a 6 page booklet printed in a pretty small font. So, Otto is a wine bar, first and foremost. A wine bar that happens to serve good pizza in a cavernous cafeteria-esque seating style. It's popular so try to go at off peak times and be ready for the wait staff to speed you through your meal. Without wine, individual pies will run you $12-14...but, make no mistake about it, Otto is a wine bar that serves delicious pizza appetizers.
VERDICT: 4 out of 5 
MISC:1. Junior Varsity, my improv troupe from the Magnet Theater, unites to form a pizza in the video clip.
2. I forgot to say "Jamie Rivera" when I was listing the names of the attendees but sneaked it in...see if you can tell.

No comments: