Saturday, October 21, 2006

Day 21, 2006: Grimaldi's Pizzeria (Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn)


 
LOCATION: Grimaldi's Pizzeria (19 Old Fulton St at base of Brooklyn Bridge, BROOKLYN)
GUEST(S): Linda Fessenden, Andy Butterworth, Valerie Taylor, Matt Floyd
ORDER: 3 slices of cheese, 1 slice of pepperoni
PIZZA REPORT: Wonderful.  Grimaldi's proves when the best ingredients are prepared using the best cooking methods, the best pizza will result.  All of my slices contained fresh mozzarella cheese, a touch of olive oil, San Marzano tomato sauce, shredded basil leave, and superbly cooked coal-fired crust.  I know this because it is all done in plain view.  The one thing I could not see was the secret blend of Italian spices added to the sauce.  Man, I'd love to know that secret.  What I do know is that Grimaldi's is the gold standard for pizza.     
ATMOSPHERE: The line is long, the seats are cramped, the waiters are forgetful, the service is rushed, and the music volume is loud at times.  But, don't sweat the small stuff and once you take a bite into a Grimaldi's pizza, everything else is exactly that - "small stuff".  These are Pizza people, not People people.  There's a reason for the long line so what are you waiting for?  Get in it!
VERDICT: 5 out of 5 
MISC.: My sister (Valerie) and Matt Floyd and I arrived from distant Brooklyn where we had spent the day volunteering for NY Cares.  Yes, despite visiting New York for only a week, my sister and her boyfriend began cleaning it.  I should say "painting it" though since we, on behalf of the Dartmouth Alumni Club, painted murals in the halls of an elementary school (PS97).
Here my sister and I are painting Lyle the crocodile in a bath tub (I did the tree).

After pizza, the three of us and Linda Fessenden and Andy Butterworth walked along the Promenade and eventually over the Brooklyn Bridge.
 Click to play in your browser 

No comments: