Monday, October 10, 2005

Day 10, 2005: Lombardi's (NoLIta, NYC)


DAY 10: October 10th
LOCATION: Lombardi's Pizzeria (Spring St. and Mott St., NYC)
GUEST(S): Tony Carnevale, Kevin Hines
ORDER: 3 slices of cheese, 2 slices of pepperoni and garlic

PIZZA REPORT: Famously delicious. It can't be easy being THE pizzeria that started it all in the United States and still churn out just about the most delicious pizza in the business, but Lombardi's does just that. My favorite part of Lombardi's pizza is the cheese-sauce tandem. This combination is absolutely perfect in distribution and quality. The imported Italian sauce is mixed with several spices and sits alongside the fresh mozzarella which is sliced so thin it practically melts in your mouth (even though it's technically already melted on the pizza). With each bite of the plain cheese slices, I enjoyed just the right amount of each topping. To make matters better, these idyllic toppings come on a coal-fired brick oven crust. My pepperoni and garlic slices were also tasty. I typically don't like too much garlic and the Lombardi's staff must have sensed that and just put a hint of it on the pizza adding yet another taste sensation to an already delectable specimen (thank you, Mr. Roget!).
MISC.:
  • The food was good, of course, but so was the drink. We ordered a pitcher of Coke and as you can see in the photo, they brought us a full pitcher of coke and put the ice in the cups. This enabled us to pour as we pleased and not worry about the pitcher gradually becoming more and more diluted with time. It also meant more Coke!
  • There is an ad on the wall of Lombardi's for a magazine called Pizza Today. Tony Carnevale checked to see if the magazine actually existed last year and found out it does. Furthermore, he bought me a subscription that continues to this day. I was reading my most recent issue of Pizza Today on the subway and four boys (I swear it was two sets of twins) noticed the cover and said, "mmm, pizza" and "I like extra cheese" and "that looks good". They were right, it did look good. It was a dessert pizza. Two of them came and sat next to me in the subway train (the other two were already pretty close) and all of them looked over my shoulder as I turned the pages of the "top pizza trade magazine in the business". In between gigantic ads for Hobart dough spinners and magnetic delivery signs, there were a couple of photos of pizza from different vendors. Without fail, one of the kids would say, "ooh, I like that!" while another reiterated his love for "extra cheese". It was a funny moment, but alas, my transfer came and I had to leave. I offered the boys the magazine which they readily accepted and fought over.
  • Kevin Hines and I are both eagerly anticipating the release of DOOM, the movie. Here's a link to the home page with a trailer. I will warn you that a good chunk of the trailer is from the first person perspective with the gun held in foreground (like the video game...not entirely like the video game as the camera is able to tilt up and down - a feature present in DOOM II, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, and Unreal Tournament, but not the original DOOM). The fact they use this perspective at all (in the trailer) made Kevin chuckle at the movie theatre.

No comments: